Thursday, March 31, 2011

The 5K and Being Bored

So, as we all know, I've been somewhat of a slacker lately.  It is difficult to get up extra early in the morning to work out, so I've tried to tweak my routine so I can work out at night.  That works for my schedule most of the time.  Last week, though, I was able to run almost every night up until my 5K on Saturday.  I did improve my time on our local park track, but I must say that I didn't really prepare myself physically for the race.

The night before, one of my sorority sisters got married in Marietta, and the reception was in Atlanta.  Let me just say that it was absolutely beautiful!  The ceremony was so heart-felt, and the reception was seriously in one of the most gorgeous places in Atlanta.  It was fun, but I didn't really get in the bed until around 2 am... and I had to be at the race location at 7:15 am.  Not a good idea to stay out so late, but it's was worth it to catch up with my sisters. 

Anyway, though, the 5K was seriously the most difficult 5K I've ever done in my life.  It wasn't necessarily because I didn't have much sleep or energy, but it was uphill for almost two freaking miles!  There was *maybe* about 3/4 of a mile that was downhill, so none of us really had much of a break during the race.  I finished it in 35 minutes and 50 seconds...  by far the worst I've ever done, but I guess considering the lack of sleep, the course itself, and the fact that I didn't really train until the week before, it wasn't too terribly bad.  I will say, though, that I was completely pooped the rest of the day.  Like, for real.  I went home after an event I had to work and slept for 3 hours.  Ahhh...  bliss. 

So morale of the story, girls and boys - if you're going to run a 5K, prepare, prepare, prepare!  Get sleep, train in an appropriate amount of time, eat right, hydrate yourself, and scope out the route beforehand if you want yourself to be ready for it.  I think I'm going to do Race for the Cure in Atlantic Station this year, so I promise you that I will be much more prepared then. 

Back to Power 90, though...  I'm seriously getting bored with the workouts.  It's not very motivating when you watch the same routine over and over again, especially when I'm pretty much OCD and ADD at the same time.  I'm obsessed with something right when I start it, but I get really ADD after just a few weeks of it.  It's like the newness wears off, and I've got to find something else that's new, fun, and challenging to replace it with.  I'm trying - God knows I'm trying - to just stay on pace with Power 90, but I'm also trying to incorporate other workouts into the middle of the week, as well.  For instance, going jogging or playing basketball outside.  The weather is finally getting warm enough to be outside without being uncomfortable, so my plans are to keep myself busy with the Power 90 workouts when it's rainy and be outside when it isn't. 

I think that's a good plan...  and as long as I keep myself interested in the activities, I'll stick to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment